Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Different Commute

Today instead of either taking the x90 bus or the 6 train home I have to go to suburban New Jeresy for mundane reasons not worth going into. This means that I have to take the E train to the Port Authority to catch a NJ Transit bus. To get to the E train from the World Financial center I have to go down Vesey street which is a flat, straight and only for pedestrians. The majority of the rush hour crowd is walking against me, trying to reach the PATH train that runs underneath the building. From my viewpoint I could see the enormousness of hundreds and hundreds of fellow white collar workers as one. A sea of bodies all wearing black overcoats that match their black umbrellas, all with identical looks of determination only the true New York commuter can have.

During my ride on the E train, and in the bustling Port Authority I take note of the sheer volume of people. I do my same commute day in and day out without really thinking about how many hundreds of other different commutes there are into office buildings all across Manhattan. And each of those hundreds of different commutes- whether it be the Port Authority buses to the suburbs, the PATH train from Hoboken, the ferry from Staten Island, the Long Island Rail, etc- there are literally thousands of people doing each of these commutes. It is truly mind boggling.

As I sit in the darkened NJ transit bus I look around me and notice everyone sunken in their seat, exhausted. These are the people who have way worse commutes then mine. Every day in and day out they leave their house with backyard and their children at the depths of dawn, drive to the bus station, and wait for the bus. They get on their crowded buses, maybe have to stand for the hour plus it takes to Port Authority, get on a crappy subway line such as the E to finally take them to their careers. And yet they do it day in and day out. We all do. Every day.

What is it we are all working for? Damned if I have figured it out....

3 comments:

Adam said...

I was on the 6 this morning and it was delayed. My roommate told me his co-worker was riding around 9ish and people started scrambling in from the next car screaming "RUN!" "We're gonna die!" She said it was like a movie, everyone was freaking out and they were talking about a guy with a backpack that started sparking. The conductor was hollering for help and eventually they were let off on Astor Place (I think) I can't find anyone documenting this incident but I stumbled on your blog and wanted to get your thoughts.

AnonymousNewYork said...

Hi Adam-

I just read your comment on my blog- that is CRAZY. I ride the 6 about an hour earlier so I missed that happening...would've been good material for my blog though!

I think I would've freaked out- I'm surprised an incident like that didn't at least make the depths of the local section of the Post.

Adam said...

Although I think most things are a cover up... I think this is DEFINITELY being covered up. If it was a Christmas present that went berserk it would have made front page of the Post, but for it to have never happened is suspicious. I am pressing my roommate to get more details, but he says the lady is pretty traumatized.

And I want to change it from a guy with a backpack, to just a backpack that was smoking. Freaky.