Monday, January 26, 2009

The Gap

At the Union Square station there is a gap between the platform and where the 5 train pulls in. Every morning this is scary to me. Of course it is not a very large gap, maybe about 6-8 inches wide- definitely not large enough for me to realistically fall through. I'm sure if it was remotely possible for even a small child to slip through one would of certainly have by now and there would be many public lawsuits we would all know about.

Irrationally though, this thought still does not calm my obsession with the gap. The sight of the dark wretchedness of the tracks below as I carefully step over always manages to shake my stomach slightly. I'm sure I look awkward as sin as I straddle slowly into the car while never taking my eyes off my feet.

No comments: