Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Blind

This afternoon I see a blind man on the subway platform. He is poking around with one of those skinny white sticks. I have seen several blind people around before and each time I am completely amazed. The city can be scary enough on occasion even with all five senses- one can only begin to comprehend not being able to see anything.



As he shuffles around me I wonder just how he manages not to walk right off the edge of the platform and fall into the tracks below. I worry about myself doing that and I have full vision. How does he know he is even getting on the right train? The 6 train and not the E train? How does he know he is going uptown and not downtown? Well I guess sometimes they announce it but even if you can make out what is being said you are already committed to being on your way.


It is another one of those mysteries of survival.



No comments: