Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The M6

This morning after I get off the subway I ponder the buses that whiz by dangerously close to the curb as I wait to cross Church Street. Row after row they pass, delivering commuters from all ends of the earth. All it would take was one overzealous stranger to accidently bump me into their path- certain death for sure. Or I could simply not be paying attention and step one foot onto the street before I realize it is too late. I look around at the people packed on all sides of me, all waiting just like myself in their skirts and suits, Blackberries in hand, to cross the street. I wonder just how many of them standing at that curb with me ponder just stepping in front of that M6 bus that speeds by. Just step in front of it rather than spend one more day in their cubicles high up in the glossy towers of the World Financial Center that looms in front of us.

No comments: