Monday, September 8, 2008

Back in Town

This morning it is back to work after a week away. This was the longest I have been without the subway since I started commuting. Predictably nothing is changed. Life in all corners of the city goes on with or without one being present.


This morning after I get off the subway there is a gigantic construction crane backing into Ground Zero that blocks the entrance of the pedestrian bridge into the World Financial Center. I stand there waiting as the mob of fellow commuters around me swells bigger and bigger. I wonder why they chose rush hour on a Monday morning to back this incredibly slow crane into the construction site - moments before the whole world has to be at their desks. Sometimes you forget just how many people work in lower Manhattan until there is a five minute delay somewhere. In a blink everything backs up, a crowd forms and chaos is just seconds away.

No comments: