Thursday, September 18, 2008

Women With Gigantic Engagement Rings


Today on the 6 train home I have too much time to study the large engagement ring of a woman sitting next to me. I find I do this often on the afternoon commute- practically in regards to “stand out” diamonds. It always blows my mind the size of some people’s rings. This woman’s center stone, not even including the rest of the ring had to be at least five carats. I ponder what it would be like to wear such a behemoth on your finger. I have decided even if I marry an extremely rich man I will never, ever wear something that tacky.


I always wonder just how rich these women are. Not rich enough to never have to take the subway apparently. Or maybe they are extremely wealthy like most people in Manhattan and take the subway for its convenience in rush hour midtown traffic. Maybe the woman is just an major diva-type who made her police-officer husband who makes $45,000 take out a loan to buy an engagement ring like that. Or maybe the ring is, gasp- not a real diamond!


One can never know unless you ask. But of course it is never okay to ask a stranger how much their jewelry actually cost and what their life is like. Not on the subway. Not anywhere.

No comments: