Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lipstick

This morning the 5 train is absolutely packed. Not normal rush-hour crowded but cattle car- pushing -frenzy-to-get-on packed. I am so squeezed into the businessman next to me that when I turn my head slightly I accidently smear my freshly applied red lipstick across the back of his expensive-looking tailored dress shirt.

I stare at the stain long and hard, feeling like a moron. It is a very big streak, surely everyone who walks behind him today in the office will see. I hope whoever he comes home to at night doesn’t think he was with another woman when he says he really was at happy hour. Should I discreetly try to wipe it off? Since I am not one of those who carries a stick of Shout in my purse that would be nearly impossible. Should I tell him and apologize? I figure that this would only produce two results- 1) he awkwardly doesn’t really understand when I try to explain what I did to him or 2) gets aggravated at me. Neither will get rid of the lipstick mark.

I decide to do nothing.

No comments: