Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Pup

This morning there is a Latino teenager with a tiny puppy sitting next to me on the 6. It’s a baby pit pull, swaddled in a blue baby blanket, two weeks old. Probably the cutest thing I have ever seen, at least on my commute. Normally no one talks to anyone on the subway during the morning (or any other time for that matter) but women are surrounding this guy like a mildly attractive investment banker at a Manhattan singles bar. Everyone is asking him questions about the dog. Note to young boys out there- if your goal is to pick up hot older women on the subway, bring on a puppy. Not a destructive one however, or the only attention you will get is frustration from fellow commuters.

AM New York, the free daily newspaper they hand out before you swipe your card had an article in it this morning about rats taking over the subway. Apparently in record numbers they are “moving out of the tracks and onto the platforms.” I get squeamish when even I see them from safely above- sometimes I make myself stare at them for a few seconds to try to get over my fear. It hasn’t worked yet. I think I just might die if I see one running around my feet. This is bound to happen one of these afternoons.

No comments: